Hello poetry fans and friends! Here’s a quick update, just to keep you up to speed with some of the things we’re up to at Shore Poets.
* A big thanks to everyone who came along to our January event, and especially to Helena, Nick and Ian for wonderful readings, and to Button Ben for their great music. We trialled a new feature at our January event, and it seemed to go down well! We’ve introduced a Shore Poets wildcard slot, an idea we’ve borrowed from poetry slams. Basically, if you think you’d fancy reading at Shore Poets, all you have to do is come along and stick you name in the hat when you pay at the door. One name will be drawn, and that person gets to read one poem / for three minutes (no running over!) at the start of the night. Go on… be brave!
* Our next event will take place on Sunday 24th February, from 7.15pm at the usual venue, Henderson’s at St John’s. A more detailed post is coming soon, but there has been a small change to our diary. Our headliner is still Cheryl Follon, but our new poet for February is now Miriam Gamble. Christine de Luca will be representing the Shore Poets.
* It seems like a long way off, but it’s approaching fast: we have an Open Night on Sunday 28th April, and we’re still looking for performers! If you’re interested in finding out more, please email publicity [at] shorepoets.org.uk for more details!
* Those of you who attended our October event last year will surely remember Jim Carruth‘s fantastic reading, at the end of which he told us a little about his project “Young MacDonalds.” The project aims to buy farmyards via Oxfam to help farmers around the world to feed themselves and their families. Says Jim, “It costs just £482 to provide enough to provide a farmer with livestock so that they can provide for their families. It’s not a lot now is it?”
We’d love it if you could take a minute to visit the Young MacDonalds fundraising page, and contribute a little to the cause, which has already raised nearly £3,000!
* And speaking of donations… the Shore Poets can generally afford to feed ourselves (the delicious cake at Henderson’s), but we do always greatly appreciate donations. As we are a non-profit-making group, any and all donations go directly towards paying our performers, publicising our events and generally making Shore Poets nights as good as they can possibly be. We now have a Shore Poets Paypal, which means you can make a small donation with just a few clicks. In fact, all you need to do is click right here, and follow the instructions at the top of the page!
* Just a reminder: we’re also on Twitter now, so if you tweet, please tweet us! We’d love to hear from you!
SHORE POETS: FEBRUARY
Henderson’s at St John’s, Lothian Road, Edinburgh
7.45 pm to 10.00 pm
Sunday 24th February 2013
Bar from 7.15pm
Admission £5 / Concessions £3